Sunday, October 24, 2010

Untangling the Web

Looking for things to occupy myself with while waiting for my coffee at my favorite cafe, I noticed a spider taking pieces of her damaged web balling them up between her spiny legs and casting them away. I have never seen a spider do this before, but it was fascinating. I was reminded of how we all do this from time to time. We take assessment of our lives, find things that are damaged or tattered, not useful to us anymore, and begin to clean up the mess. Balling parts of our damaged "webs" and casting them into the universe. Removing the traces of the damage and starting over fresh. Start anew. Leave nothing behind of the mess, it will only clutter the mind, clutter our already full lives with unnecessaries.


I will take heart in her lesson and begin taking assessment of my own life's damaged web and begin balling it up and throwing it away to free my mind and life, making room for the new. Liberation, by way of the spider.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."
Leo Tolstoy